It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Skills for Success: Test Prep
Metacognition: Learning how you learn best. Reflect on what works and doesn't work for you. Practice what works.
3 Day Countdown to test: 3 days before the test: Review notes and make summary notes. 2 days before test: Take summarized notes and make flash cards of concepts that are not firm. 1 day before the test: MEMORIZE everything that doesn't make sense. Day of the test:Eat protein before the test (can of tuna anyone?)
Action If allowed: Write down the stuff you memorized on the back of the test, before you begin. Why? So you won't get confused when reading questions. When you need that equation or chart or word spelling, you already have it written down
Note: When studying, you need calories, plus sleep to make it stick.
- Val Magno, Based on personal practice.
The Five Day Test Prep Plan: How to prepare for any exam (uri.edu)Basic kinds of activities that work best for people include:
• Building better notes by finding the parts of your book that focus on what your notes focus on, then adding to them
• Working on practice problems and review questions
• Making your own open book quizzes
• Making flash cards and then practicing with them
• Talking about what you are learning with other people; teaching to each other
• Working on problems together with others
The Five Day Study Plan (juniata.edu)Keys to the Five Day Plan:
1. Space out your learning & chunk
2. Review previous material, cover new, summarize new; repeat for each chunk.
4. Read, write, recite; teach it to someone
5. Quiz yourself before the quiz.
Active Preparation Strategies - ICOW – Identify, Condense, Organize, & Write what you need to learn (Use at least three different to be effective) Active Review Strategies – RE-USE – Rehearse, Extend, Understand, Self-test, & Evaluate your learning