Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Avoiding the Afternoon Slump
Take a brisk walk.
Read an entertaining book or magazine.
Call a friend.
Listen to your favorite music.
To get out of the Afternoon Slump:
- Take five energizing deep breaths.
- Drink a glass of cold water or soothing herbal tea.
- Get up and take a walk around the office to get the blood flowing.
- If you’ve been staring at your computer for an extended period of time, look out the window or at another object for a few seconds.
- Eat a piece of fruit or some crunchy vegetables — nutritious snacks are part of a healthy diet.
- Do some basic stretching in your workspace.
- Close your eyes for a few minutes and imagine your ideal vacation.
- Change up your afternoon routine — make sure you have a mixture of active and inactive tasks to keep your brain and body working.
- Take time to do work tasks away from your desk, in a new setting.
Table of Contents: Wellness