Is Truthiness Enough? Classroom Activities for Encouraging Evidence-Based Critical Thinking [PDF]
"Teaching students how to think critically and develop lifelong habits of evidence-based inquiry outside of the classroom is a primary goal for educators today. This paper describes nine activities designed to promote evidence-based critical thinking in college or high school classrooms in any discipline."
Critical Thinking: Seven Steps
1) What am I being asked to believe or accept?
2) What evidence is available to support the claim?
3) What alternative ways are there to interpret the evidence?
4) Rate the evidence/alternatives on 0-10 scale based on validity/strength
5) What assumptions or biases came up when doing the above steps?
(e.g., using intuition/emotion, authority, or personal experience rather than
6) What additional evidence would help us evaluate the alternatives?
7) What conclusions are most reasonable or likely?